In Deep Peril: Monster Typhoon Yolanda (Hainan)

by

To all readers worldwide, my country is in deep peril. I seek for your kind support to my fellowmen. Any way you could extend your goodness will be rewarded in the eyes of God…


 “There’s a super typhoon hitting the country this week dear” – These were the words I vividly recall as my mom gave me an update. It was tuesday of that usual busy week and out of courtesy I thought of giving her a not-so-worried “really?” in reply. Among the things I should worry about are the piles of marketing work I need to finish for Friday’s presentation to the upper management of my team which is halfway done, and a forthcoming typhoon is the least of my concerns. After all, it’s just a super typhoon, and we have been through a lot in terms of disasters like this – bombings here and there, flashfloods, wars, the list goes on and on and yet here we are standing. So what’s a super typhoon for us anyways?
And the daily grind continues. It was already Thursday. I didn’t even bother to check on updates regarding “Yolanda/ Hainan” and the possible aftermath of its wrath. Instead, I spent an hour Youtube-streaming, checking on how Janet Lim-Napoles and Miriam Defensor-Santiago’s babble came about. Sources of entertainment like this can be very beneficial especially when under stress – it keeps the endorphin levels up a bit for me, though it is negative humor but still it is entertaining.

FRIDAY:
We were crammed up in the training room presenting market strategies and projections. I wasn’t aware of what was happening. Though I was technologically armored, I did not bother to check on some news bites, because I was consumed with other things to do – my meager means for a weather update was through the conversations overheard in the females’ lavatory: 

“Sis, hindi pa ba kayo papauwiin ng maaga? Grabe na daw ang lakas ng bagyo sa province… dito daw sa manila dadating ng 5PM” , one of the employees from the other company working on the same building asked.

“Why don’t you go home? A forecast is called a forecast because you don’t wait for the storm to come”, another friend who was already home texted me.
I just made a hasty survey of the surroundings only to see clear roads, a slight drizzle, and a hints of the playful wind as the branches of trees start swaying.
“This is manageable.” I thought.

We didn’t finish all brand presentations since we identified the need to go home to be with our families just in case the weather conditions worsen in Manila. Before I went to my car, I stuffed my bag with food and water just in case I get stranded. I headed home, exhausted, only to realize that the roads were clear that it took me only 20 mins to get home – considering it was a Friday.
And then I just slept it off. 

That was ten undisturbed hours of relaxation not knowing that at the other region of the Philippines people were crying for shelter. While I was there, crammed up in a multilayered mattress and enveloped in a cozy comforter and down pillow, our brothers and sisters from Visayas and Mindanao were gawking at the only remaining shards of what they are – rubbish…piles and piles of rubbish that were once useful. Taken away overnight.

In those ten hours while i dreamt about other blissful things – hundreds of Filipino families literally “braced themselves” and “hold on” to whatever is strong enough they could find. They fought against the smite of Yolanda… they fought to survive… they fought for their lives. 

It’s about time we should reflect about what is happening around us. We should take time to reflect. Perhaps God is trying to send us a message – a call to action. 

At the end of these disasters, have we tried to call God and sought for his guidance? Maybe these things are just his way of getting our attention. We have been so consumed with all our worldly affairs – after all, he has been the source of all these things. He is a jealous God. Take time to give him time.

Thousands of Filipinos are now homeless in Central and West Visayas. It’s about time that we show our concern to our fellowmen and unearth the remaining good God is trying to uncover in us. Maybe God wants us to simple “care”.

While we were spared here in Manila, who knows what impending peril looms in the distant?



Photos courtesy of CNN, GMA News, Aaron Favila
  
You may click on the links below to give your support in cash/ kind to the ff:

Please send cash or check donations to the PRC National Headquarters in Manila. Checks should be made payable to The Philippine Red Cross. We can also arrange for donation pick-up.

We now accept cash donations for the Philippine Red Cross at any 7-11 store or Cebuana Lhuillier Pawnshop nationwide.
Bank accounts for Donations
Banco De Oro
Peso: 00-453-0018647
Dollar: 10-453-0039482
Metrobank
Peso: 151-3-041631228
Dollar: 151-2-15100218-2

Philippine National Bank
Peso: 3752 8350 0034
Dollar: 3752 8350 0042

Unionbank of the Philippines
Peso: 1015 4000 0201
Dollar: 1315 4000 0090

All Check/Cash for the account of Philippine Red Cross (Swift Codes)
Banco De Oro
BNORPHMM

Bank of the Philippine Islands
BOPIPHMM

Metrobank
MBTCPHMM

Philippine National Bank
-PNBMPHMM

Unionbank of the Philippines
-UBPHPHMM


For your donations to be properly acknowledged, please fax the bank transaction slip at nos. +63.2.527.0575 or +63.2.404.0979 with your name, address and contact number.


Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD)
Address: NAIA Chapel Road, Pasay City (at the back of CAAP)
Bank accounts for cash/check donations:
-Landbank of the Philippines Account numbers:
--Current: 3122-1011-84
--Savings: 3124-0055-81
*Contact Fe Catalina Ea - 09186281897

Operation Tulong Bayan
- Balai, EDSA corner McArthur Ave., Cubao, Quezon City. Contact number: 02-913-6254; or
- The Commissary at Whitespace, 2341 Chino Roces Ave Ext. (formerly Pasong Tamo Ext), Makati City. Contact number: (02) 729-0030






Leave a Comment

That's so Nice!. Powered by Blogger.

Followers

Search This Blog

Designed by illuminatheme.com. Powered with Blogger. Converted by LiteThemes.com.